Motion to Reopen Case

Last Updated: July 2015

A closed case must be reopened to do the following:

  • File Amendments to Schedules Adding Creditors.

  • Administer assets.

  • File a Motion.

  • File a Official Form 23 Certificate of Completion of Financial Management Course to obtain a discharge.

  • File a Form B283 Certificate of Domestic Support Obligation to obtain a discharge.

See also Motion for Entry of Discharge and Local Rule 5010-1.

Filing Requirements:

  • Motion to Reopen Case  

  • Filing fee  [Note: Refer to Bankruptcy Court Miscellaneous Fee Schedule for exceptions to filing fee. 28 U.S.C. Section 1930].

  • Proof of Service on interested parties.

  • No proposed order necessary, unless requested by Court. (form order issued)

To File Electronically:

  1. Log into CM/ECF.

  2. Select [Bankruptcy >  Motions/Applications].

  3. Enter the case number (e.g, xx-xxxxx).

  4. Select [Reopen Case xx Case] from the event list.

  5. Skip the Joint Filing screen.

  6. Select the party filer.

  7. Browse to select the Motion (.pdf file).

    Note:  The Motion and Proof of Service may be a single PDF; or Proof of Service may be added as attachments to this document. The Motion must be the first document in your PDF.

  8. To pay via ACH or credit card, leave the receipt field blank and select [Next] to continue filing. Note: If filing fee is exempt type "EXEMPT" in receipt field.

  9. Modify the text as appropriate.

  10. Verify the final docket text; if correct, click [Next] to submit your document(s).

    Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing displays giving you the document number. Copies of this notice are immediately e-mailed to all participants who receive electronic notification in the case.





    11 U.S.C.: 5010 and 4007(b)

    Local Rule 2002-1(E)

    Local Rule 5010-1